Sunday, May 23, 2010

to experience the end of the school year!

We weren't the only ones dancing in the streets because it was the last day of school!
Get a load of all these people!
Did you know that Slovenia holds the Guiness Book of World records for most people dancing a Quadrille (think Pride and Prejudice and the ball at Netherfield) the same time? It's true and it's become a fun tradition for all of the graduating seniors to fill up one of the main streets in town and do a square dance of sorts. There are also lots of other students in other cities and even countries who do the same dance at the same time to help make the record.
Out of the thousands ( I think there were 8,000) of people that were in the street on Friday, I spotted three girls that were in my English class in January when we did an English camp/weekend. It was so cool to see them. They are the two who are looking surprised to see me popping through the crowd to snap their pic.
This video is of the whole crowd doing a practice dance before the official start time. You can hear a woman calling out the steps (a little Slovene lesson for you!). It was a very cool (and loud!) thing to see in person!
PS- Just in the 3 min I was looking at the Guinness Book of World Records site, I was very educated. There are records for EVERYTHING: world's largest muffin, most ballerinas on point at the same time, fastest balloon dog tier guy, and most people doing the YMCA dance at the same time and most golf balls held in one hand for 10 seconds (how long did he practice that- I mean really!) just to name a few.

1 comment:

Traci said...

That's pretty cool! Fun to see!