Monday, November 9, 2009

..for another holiday

November 1st was dan spomina na mrtve (day to remember the dead).
It is a holiday to remember loved ones who have died.
We went to Zale, the largest cemetary in Ljubljana to see how people celebrate this holiday.
It was beautiful and heart wrenching all at the same time.
Each family decorates the grave sites of their family members and light candles in their honor. There were thousands of people and even more candles.
Just like most American holidays, people have figured out how to make money off of something sacred. All along the entrance to the cemetery were booths selling flower arrangements (some of which were amazing!), candles, costans (roasted chestnuts) and even cotton candy. This year, November 1st was on a Sunday. If it had been a week day, we would have had a day off from school.

I actually thought the cemetary looked lovely, but I found myself so sad thinking about all of the families that were here to visit someone and each someone has a special story.
It made me remember why we're here and why I love people so much...everybody has a story.

1 comment:

Nicole and Narindra in Madagascar said...

I just love reading your blog, the pictures are amazing and the content is wonderful. I feel as if I am really there with you in much of it, funny since I am experiencing my own radically different things here in madagascar! Thanks for allowing me to be a blog stalker or follower, whatever you are in the mood for!! I just love it!