Most of last week our Slovene class went really well. We started off on Monday taking a 5 page test in Slovene. Of course we didn't really know anything so we were happily placed in one of the begginer classes. We have two teachers that switch off every day, Stasha and Petra. Both are really patient, helpful and are taking things really slow. I think we're going at just the right speed. By the time class ends, my brain is mush and I'm ready to be done!
I said MOST of last week went really well becuase it did...until Friday....
That's when we learned that all of the nouns have to change depending on how many items you are talking about. In the lovely language of English, you would just say 1 book, 2 books, 3 books, 4 books and so on. In Slovene each word is either feminine, masculine or nuter and then changes depending on how many things you're talking about: kniga (1 book), knigi (2 books), or kinige (3 books). Petra wouldn't even tell us how to change the nouns, past 5 becuase that is a whole different story!! And I wont tell you about the verbs!! YIKES!!!!
2 funny stories so far: I was asking our teacher, Stasha, to right down a few helpful phrases for me to memorize and use around town. Like: "This is my son Caleb. He is 15 months old." Then my dear husband came up and asked her how to say, "I know Kung Fu! Beware!"
She said, "Do you really? I am studying Judo!"
Hondo had to admit that he does NOT know Kung Fu and that he was just kidding. But she wasn't kidding and told him "Beware!"
I laughed all the way home!
I laughed all the way home!
On the second day of class, we had to tell our occupations. I, of course said teacher. Hondo said, "What's the word for professional wrestler in Slovene?"
Our teacher laughed a lot and used it as an expample for the rest of the day.
The word, by the way, 'rocoborets'!
We only have 7 students in our class which is really nice. We have Olga, from Russia, Sarah from Brazil, Lana from Canada, Jorg from Switzerland, and Robert from Connecticut and us. It's been nice to get to know them and have a 'kava' (coffee) with them during our break.
Better go do my homework!
9 comments:
I just love the technology of this century that allows me to see your pics and follow you on this adventure. Happy studying!
I'm praying for your language learning skills...I LOVE languages and have a knack for them! Praise God for his goodness in all that you are doing...you guys are AWESOME!
What do you guys do with Caleb during your classes?
Hondo - You probably won't remember me, but I went to South Dakota with you on the Seminary Immersion trip. I recognized your pic on the JV site and have been checking blogs to get more information on JV. We asked about Caleb because my wife and I have been praying about JV and having conversations with them - we were just wondering how the logistics worked with language classes and kids. God Bless! Matt
Oh my, you guys! Drugi Sklon is so, so hard! I still mess it up when I order meat, bread or cheese from the counter! My suggestion...cheat sheets!! : ) So proud of you guys! Keep up the good work!! Drzi se!! ; )
Hi Matt & Amy,
This is a four week course - just in the mornings. Some of our teammates's kid's watched Caleb the first week and now my mom is here for the final three weeks. The hardest part is trying to do homework after the kid has gone to bed! Which country are you guys praying about?
Thanks for your response Trisha. Honestly, we're not sure what country yet . . we are just feeling led to pursue JV and see what happens. I think we'd be open to wherever God leads us . . . but we like the pictures of Slovenia and Slovokia! :)
If its any consolation, verbs are actually not too bad. They are A LOT easier then skloni. Those are way hard. With fourth case feminine, its the case of moving action. So think of a a weel moving. That looks like an O. So with the feminine A it always goes to O. Like the moving weel. Hmm... that probably just confused you more. I know a great Slovene tutor when you finish with the class. She has all kinds of stories to help you with cases. Ask Josh about Katja. He will hook you up. :) Im so proud of you guys!! Geeze, I should write you an email...
Does Hondo know the Double Hammer hold? That gets them every time! Try it on your Judo teacher.
Post a Comment