Our language tutor and her husband invited us to go "sledding" on Saturday.
I don't know about you, but when I think about sledding I think of inner tubes or trash bags and hiking up a small hill over and over again. Good times, but nothing to blog about right?

Well, this little sledding outing was not just any sledding adventure!
First of all ,we didn't just walk up a small hill. No, we HIKED up a mountain pass -the old road that used to be the boarder crossing until the tunnel was built after the 2nd World War. Good thing Slovenia is in the EU now, because when we got to the top and crossed over to Austria, none of us had our passports!
This is Brad and Hondo trying to resolve another border dispute.
Brad might have won, because this is him on both sides of the boarder.
The sign said it should only take about 45 minutes to get to the top, but with three kids and all of the snow, I think it took us an hour and a half!
Of course the dad's had to do all of the work and now I'm afraid that Caleb thinks sledding includes the ride up AND the ride down.
But the pay off was WELL worth it!
True, Caleb cried his head off the whole way down, but I think it was because he was tired and hungry not because he was afraid.
We fit the three of us on our own sled and Hondo and I laughed the whole way. It was sooooo much fun to go down such a long run!
Poor Caleb kept saying, "All done!"
This is Julia ("yooo-ye-ya" as Caleb calls her), our tutor Helena, and Laurel still looking good after hiking up the mountain!
The ladies of the crew.
After our big adventure, we spent the evening in Helena & Ales's home playing games and eating great food. It was just delightful to spend time together. Helena is not only our great tutor, but she teaches dance and bakes cakes. Lucky for us, she made an amazing tiramisu to top off the night!

5 comments:
Oh FUN!!!! One time we had a winter retreat up there and went sledding too!!! IT WAS SOOO MUCH FUN! I love that there's not super lot of hiking and the road down is so fun for sledding! Oh, and the tiramisu looks yummy! I like the little daisies on it :D Glad you had a lot of fun! I'm sure Caleb will love it a lot more next year!
How fun! And funny! =)
Unbelievable, you had a sled ride from Austria into Slovenia, awesome!
Who takes those black and white photos? They are amazing! Glad to hear you had so much fun. Please share the tiramisu recipe as well!!!
This one made me laugh out loud! "All done, all done!" Love it. The picture of Bryan and Caleb is adorable!
Post a Comment